Q. Do I need to file a tax return?

All US citizens who earned above a certain amount of income have to file a tax return.

Follow the instructions on the IRS link to help you determine if you need to file the

return: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Do-I-Need-to-File-a-Tax-Return%3F.

In addition, see the following Article for more information



Q. Do I need to file an FBAR?

In general, if you own or have signature authority over a single foreign financial

account or several foreign financial accounts which total over $10,000, you will need to

file an FBAR.

See the IRS.gov website for more information: http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-


Q. When is the deadline to File a tax Return?

A tax return is due every April 15th, however it is possible to request a six month

extension. Taxpayers living abroad have an automatic 2 month extension until June 17th.

However, these extensions only extend the filing date. The due date to pay taxes owed

remain April 15th.

See the IRS.gov website for more information: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/Can’t-


Q. When is the FBAR deadline?

In previous years the FBAR deadline was June 30th, and there were no options for

extension. However, beginning in 2016 the new FBAR deadline will be April 15th, the

same day the tax return is due, and a six month extension will be available upon request.

Q. Do I need to file a return if I have no US income?

Generally, you will need to file if your worldwide income is above the minimum

filing threshold.

Q. What are the requirements for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion?

In order to meet the requirements of the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion you need to

either meet the Bone Fide Residence Test or the Physical Presence Test. If one of the two

tests are met, the taxpayer may exclude up to $100,800 of foreign income in 2016.

Q. I did not know I needed to pay taxes. How should I begin?

It is better to file late, than not file at all. The IRS has several programs to help

taxpayers who have not been filing become compliant.

Q. How do I pay the IRS?

The IRS accepts payment through credit card on their website, or by check addressed

to The US Treasury, or if the taxpayer is efiling, then it is possible to pay through direct


Q. Does my check to the IRS need to be in US dollars

Yes. Generally, the IRS only accepts checks in US dollars.

Q. Where should I file my return?

This answer depends on whether there is payment included and where the taxpayer is

living. See the IRS.gov website for more information.: