Taxes for Americans Living in Hong Kong

As an American expatriate living in Hong Kong, understanding the local tax system and how it interacts with your U.S. tax obligations is essential. Hong Kong offers a relatively straightforward and low-tax regime compared to many other countries, but there are specific nuances and deadlines you need to be aware of. This article outlines the key aspects of Hong Kong’s tax system, how to file taxes, and important considerations for American expatriates.

If you’re a US citizen living in Hong Kong and need help filing your US taxes, feel free to contact Universal Tax Professionals. We offer a wide range of US expat tax services to address any tax situation you may have. Our team of accountants are experts in international taxation, ensuring your taxes are prepared with accuracy and efficiency.

Hong Kong Tax System

The Hong Kong tax system is renowned for its simplicity and relatively low tax rates. The system is designed to be efficient and business-friendly, with straightforward rules and processes.

Hong Kong operates on a territorial basis of taxation, meaning that only income sourced in Hong Kong is subject to tax. Income derived from outside Hong Kong is not taxed, regardless of the taxpayer’s residence status.

Types of Taxes

  • Salaries Tax: This is a tax on income from employment, office, and pensions. The income must be derived from services rendered in Hong Kong to be taxable.
  • Profits Tax: This tax is levied on profits of businesses operating in Hong Kong. Corporations and unincorporated businesses are subject to this tax.
  • Property Tax: This is a tax on income from real estate properties in Hong Kong.
  • Stamp Duty: This tax is imposed on certain transactions, including the transfer of property and stock trading.

Hong Kong Tax Rates

Salaries Tax

Hong Kong Taxes

Hong Kong applies a progressive tax rate system for salaries tax on individuals, with rates ranging from 2% to 17%. There is also an option to be taxed at a standard rate of 15% on net income after deductions, if this results in a lower tax liability.Progressive Tax Rates:

Table of Contents

Profits Tax

Profits tax in Hong Kong is levied on the assessable profits of businesses operating within the region. The tax rates vary based on the type of business entity: corporations are taxed at 16.5% on their assessable profits, while unincorporated businesses, such as sole proprietorships and partnerships, are subject to a slightly lower rate of 15%. This system ensures that both corporate and non-corporate entities contribute fairly to the tax revenue, based on their profitability.

Property Tax

This tax is imposed on the owners of real estate in Hong Kong at a flat rate of 15% on the property’s net assessable value.

Stamp Duty

Stamp Duty in Hong Kong is applicable to specific transactions, including property transfers and share dealings, with rates contingent upon the transaction type and value. For property transactions, the duty ranges from 1.5% to 4.25% for residential properties, depending on the property’s value. In contrast, share transactions incur a fixed rate of 0.2% on the transaction value. This tiered system ensures that Stamp Duty aligns with the nature and worth of the transaction, facilitating equitable taxation across property and share markets.

Filing Requirements and Tax Deadline in Hong Kong

The Inland Revenue Department (IRD) of Hong Kong is responsible for issuing tax return forms to taxpayers. These forms are sent out annually and serve as the basis for reporting income and calculating tax liabilities.

For Individuals, the primary form for individual taxpayers is the BIR60 form, known as the “Tax Return – Individuals.” This form is generally issued in early May, covering the previous tax year from April 1 to March 31. The filing deadline for the BIR60 form is generally one month from the date of issue, typically falling in mid-June. For example, if the form is issued on May 3, the filing deadline would be June 3.

Meanwhile, corporations and unincorporated businesses receive the BIR51 form, known as the “Profits Tax Return.” The issuance typically aligns with the financial year-end of the business, and the IRD may grant extensions upon request. The standard filing deadline for the BIR51 form is three months from the date of issue. Companies with a financial year-end date of December 31 must file by March 31 of the following year, unless an extension is granted.

Payment of Taxes

Taxes in Hong Kong are usually paid in two installments, which include a provisional tax payment for the next year’s estimated liability and a final tax payment for the previous year.

Provisional Tax: Estimated based on the previous year’s income, the provisional tax is payable in two installments. The first installment is typically due in January, and the second installment is due in April for individuals.

Final Tax: Final tax is calculated based on the actual income for the year. Any balance due after accounting for provisional tax payments must be settled by the specified deadlines, which usually align with the provisional tax payment dates.

Penalties for Non-Compliance

The IRD enforces strict penalties for late filing, underpayment, or failure to comply with tax obligations.

Late Filing Penalties: Late submission of tax returns can result in a penalty of up to HKD 10,000. Additionally, a surcharge of up to 5% of the tax payable may apply.

Underpayment Penalties: A 5% surcharge is levied on the outstanding amount if taxes are not paid by the due date. An additional 10% surcharge may apply to any unpaid amounts six months after the initial due date.

Universal Tax Professionals
Need help with your US expat taxes?

Electronic Filing and eTAX System

In Hong Kong, the Inland Revenue Department (IRD) offers an efficient and user-friendly electronic filing system known as the eTAX platform.

This system allows taxpayers to conveniently submit their tax returns and manage their tax affairs online. Through eTAX, tax filers can access a range of services, including filing tax returns, making payments, checking assessment notices, updating personal information, and viewing tax positions and payment history. The eTAX system provides a secure and streamlined process, offering immediate acknowledgments of receipt and ensuring data privacy and confidentiality.

While electronic filing through eTAX is highly encouraged and widely utilized due to its convenience and efficiency, taxpayers can still opt to file their tax returns via mail if necessary.

The paper-based filing method involves completing the relevant tax return form, such as the BIR60 for individuals or the BIR51 for businesses, and submitting it to the Inland Revenue Department by mail.

Filing Hong Kong Taxes as an American

Filing taxes in Hong Kong as an American requires attention to detail and adherence to specific procedures. Here’s a guide on how to navigate the process effectively:

Steps to File Taxes in Hong Kong:

  • Obtain the BIR60 Form: Typically sent by the IRD in early May.
  • Gather Necessary Documents: Including employment income details, rental income (if applicable), and receipts for allowable deductions such as charitable donations, medical expenses, and self-education expenses.
  • Complete the BIR60 Form: Ensure all income, deductions, and allowances are accurately recorded.
  • Submit the Form: Either by mail or electronically through the IRD’s eTAX system within the stipulated deadline.

Important Considerations for Americans Living in Hong Kong

For American expats living in Hong Kong, there are important considerations regarding their U.S. tax obligations that must be addressed. Despite residing abroad, US citizens are still required to file annual tax returns with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and report their worldwide income, including income earned in Hong Kong. Here are some key points to consider:

Worldwide Income Reporting

American expatriates must report all income earned worldwide, including salaries, wages, rental income, investment income, and any other sources of income derived from Hong Kong or elsewhere.

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE)

Expatriates may qualify for the FEIE, which allows them to exclude a certain amount of their foreign earned income from U.S. taxation. As of 2023, the maximum exclusion is $120,000 per qualifying individual. To qualify, individuals must meet either the bona fide residence test or the physical presence test.

Foreign Tax Credit (FTC)

Expatriates can claim a credit for foreign taxes paid to Hong Kong on income that is also subject to U.S. taxation. The FTC helps prevent double taxation by reducing US tax liability dollar for dollar based on the amount of foreign taxes paid.

Reporting Foreign Bank Accounts

US Expats with financial accounts held in Hong Kong or elsewhere must comply with Foreign Bank Account Reporting (FBAR) requirements. If the aggregate value of their foreign financial accounts exceeds $10,000 at any time during the year, they must file FinCEN Form 114 (FBAR) with the U.S. Treasury Department.

Additional Reporting Requirements

Expatriates may also have additional reporting requirements, such as filing Form 8938 (Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets) with their U.S. tax return if they meet certain asset thresholds.

Reporting Hong Kong Income to the US

Salaries and Wages: Income earned from employment in Hong Kong, including salaries, bonuses, and benefits, must be reported to the IRS.

Rental Income: Rental income derived from properties owned in Hong Kong or elsewhere must be reported to the IRS, along with any associated expenses.

Investment Income: Income from investments held in Hong Kong, such as dividends, interest, and capital gains, must be reported to the IRS.

Self-Employment Income: American expatriates who are self-employed or operate businesses in Hong Kong must report their business income to the IRS.

Living in Hong Kong can be a rewarding experience with its vibrant economy and low tax rates. However, as an American expat, it’s crucial to stay informed about Hong Kong’s tax system and your ongoing US tax responsibilities. Consulting with a tax professional familiar with expatriate tax issues can help ensure compliance and optimize your tax situation in both jurisdiction