How Do I Pay US Taxes from Overseas?

Paying US taxes from Overseas

Written by: Josh Katz, CPA

Paying taxes to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is a legal obligation for US citizens and resident aliens, even if they live and work abroad. However, paying US taxes from overseas can be more complicated than paying from within the United States.

We have provided some tips and guidance on how to pay the IRS from abroad.

Determine Your Tax Obligations

Before you can pay the IRS from abroad, you must know how much you owe. This requires filing your tax returns, which can be complex, especially if you have foreign income, assets, or investments. You may need to consult a tax professional or use specialized tax software to ensure you comply with US tax laws and regulations.

Know When to Pay Your US Taxes

The tax deadline for individuals living abroad is generally the same as for those living in the United States: April 15th. However, if you live outside the US on the tax deadline, you are granted an automatic two-month extension until June 15th to file your tax return.

It is important to note that the extension only applies to the filing deadline, not the payment deadline. If you owe taxes, you must still pay the amount owed by April 15th to avoid interest and penalties. Interest is charged on any unpaid tax from the original tax deadline until the date you pay, so paying as soon as possible is recommended to minimize the interest charges.

Choose a Payment Method

The IRS accepts different payment methods for taxpayers who are overseas, including:

  • Direct Pay
  • Credit or Debit Card
  • Wire Transfer
  • Check or Money Order

It’s crucial to weigh the pros and cons of each payment method, including processing time, fees, and currency conversion rates, before selecting one that is convenient and cost-effective for you.

Pay Online

Multiple secure and convenient online payment options are available for paying taxes to the IRS. You can pay through the IRS online payment portal using your bank account or debit card. Additionally, you can opt for a third-party payment processor, like, or ACI Payments, Inc., to pay using a credit or debit card.

Universal Tax Professionals

Need help with your US taxes?

Pay by Mail

If you prefer to pay by mail, you can send a check or money order to the IRS at the address indicated on the payment voucher or tax return form. If you send a payment from overseas, you may need to use a particular international mailing address or include additional information, such as your tax identification number or a US bank account number.

Pay by Wire Transfer

Sending a wire transfer is a quick and secure method to transfer money to the IRS from abroad. You must furnish your bank account details, the bank’s routing number, and the SWIFT code to the IRS. Nevertheless, wire transfers can be expensive due to high fees, and you might have to convert your currency to US dollars, which can result in extra charges.

Payment Plan

You may be eligible for a payment plan if you owe taxes to the IRS but cannot pay the total amount immediately. A payment plan, also known as an installment agreement, allows you to pay your tax debt over time in smaller, more manageable amounts.

Here are the steps to set up a payment plan with the IRS:

  • Determine your eligibility: To qualify for a payment plan, you must owe $50,000 or less in combined tax, penalties, and interest. You may need to provide additional financial information to the IRS if you owe more than this amount IRS.

  • Apply online or by mail: You can apply for a payment plan online through the IRS website using the Online Payment Agreement tool. Alternatively, you can apply by completing and mailing Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request, and your tax return or notice of tax due.

  • Submit your application: To apply for a payment plan, you must provide the IRS with information about your income, expenses, and assets. You will also need to specify the amount you can afford to pay each month and the date you prefer to make your payments.

  • Wait for approval: Once you submit your payment plan application, the IRS will review your information and determine your eligibility for a payment plan. If your application is approved, the IRS will send you a letter outlining the payment plan terms, including the payment amount and due date.

  • Make your payments: Once your payment plan is approved, you must make your payments on time and in full. You can choose to make your payments by mail, online, or through direct debit from your bank account. Remember that interest and penalties will continue to accrue on any unpaid balance until it is paid in full.

Penalty and Interests

Failure to pay your taxes on time may be subject to penalties and interest charges. The amount of the penalty and interest depends on several factors, including the amount of tax owed, how late the payment is, and whether you have a history of late payments or non-payment.

The penalty for late payment is generally 0.5% of the unpaid tax for each month or part of a month that the tax remains unpaid, up to a maximum of 25% of the unpaid tax. This penalty starts accruing the day after the tax deadline and continues until the tax is paid in full.

In addition to the late payment penalty, the IRS will also charge interest on any unpaid tax. The interest rate is determined quarterly and is based on the federal short-term rate plus 3%. As of the second quarter of 2023, the interest rate is 7%. Interest is calculated daily and compounded from the tax return’s due date until the entire tax amount is paid.

Seek Professional Assistance

If you are unsure about how to pay the IRS from abroad or have complex tax issues, you may want to seek professional assistance. You can consult a certified public accountant (CPA), enrolled agent (EA), or tax attorney that provides US expat tax services. They can help you navigate the tax rules, avoid penalties, and optimize your tax strategies.

In conclusion, paying US taxes from abroad may seem daunting, but it is manageable if you plan, choose the proper payment method, and seek professional guidance. Remember that paying taxes is a civic duty that supports public services and infrastructure, so it is in your best interest to comply with the tax laws and regulations of your home country and the United States.

If you need further information or need help with your US taxes, feel free to send us an email at