Buying and Selling Property Abroad as an American

Written by: Josh Katz, CPA

Have you ever considered owning a piece of paradise abroad? As an American, purchasing property overseas can be an exciting venture, offering opportunities for investment diversification, retirement planning, or simply fulfilling your wanderlust.

However, it’s important to understand the tax implications and reporting obligations associated with buying and selling property abroad. This guide will explore everything you need to know to make informed decisions and ensure compliance with US tax laws when dealing with properties abroad.

If you require additional assistance in comprehending the tax ramifications associated with purchasing or selling property abroad, Universal Tax Professionals is here to provide guidance. Our expertise extends to a broad spectrum of US expat tax services specifically designed to cater to American citizens’ unique needs. Whether navigating the complexities of international property transactions or helping you understand your expat tax obligations, our team is dedicated to providing comprehensive support.

Tax Implications of Buying Property Abroad

Foreign Ownership Taxes

When purchasing property abroad as an American, it’s essential to consider foreign ownership taxes, which can significantly impact your investment. These taxes vary depending on the country and may include stamp duties, transfer taxes, and annual property taxes.

Stamp duties are one-time fees imposed on property transactions, often calculated as a percentage of the purchase price.

Transfer taxes, or conveyance taxes, are levied on the transfer of property ownership and vary by jurisdiction. Additionally, many countries impose annual property taxes based on the property’s assessed value.

Before investing in overseas property, research the tax laws of your target country to understand the applicable rates and regulations. Factor these taxes into your budget to accurately assess the overall cost of ownership and potential return on investment.

Rental Income from Foreign Properties

Generating rental income from your overseas property can be a lucrative venture, but it’s essential to understand the tax implications, particularly as an American taxpayer.

As a US citizen, you are required to report all rental income earned from foreign properties on your US tax return. This income is subject to US taxation, similar to domestic rental income. It’s crucial to keep detailed records of rental income and expenses, including property management fees, maintenance costs, and utilities, to calculate your taxable rental income accurately.

Withholding Taxes

Some countries impose withholding taxes on rental income earned by non-residents. These taxes are typically withheld by the tenant or property management company and remitted to the local tax authorities. The withholding rates vary by country and may be subject to bilateral tax treaties between the US and the foreign jurisdiction.

Table of Contents

Deductible Expenses

You may be eligible to deduct certain expenses associated with generating rental income, such as property taxes, mortgage interest, insurance premiums, and depreciation. However, the deductibility of expenses may be subject to limitations based on the property’s personal use versus rental use.

Reporting Foreign Rental Income

Rental income earned from foreign properties should be reported on Schedule E (Supplemental Income and Loss) of your US tax return.

Currency Conversion

When reporting rental income on your US tax return, you must convert the foreign currency into US dollars using the applicable exchange rate. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides guidance on acceptable exchange rates for tax reporting purposes.

Foreign Financial Accounts

When buying property abroad as an American, it’s not just the property itself that comes under the purview of US tax authorities; your foreign financial accounts also demand attention.

  • Foreign Bank Account Reports (FBARs): FBAR requires US persons to report their foreign financial accounts if the aggregate value of these accounts exceeds $10,000 at any time during the calendar year. Foreign financial accounts subject to FBAR reporting include bank accounts, brokerage accounts, and certain investment accounts held outside the United States.

    If you use a foreign bank account to facilitate property transactions, such as making mortgage payments, receiving rental income, or holding funds for property-related expenses, you may need to report these accounts on FBAR.

  • FATCA Form 8938: FATCA requires US taxpayers to report specified foreign financial assets if the total value exceeds certain thresholds. Specified foreign financial assets include bank accounts and interests in foreign entities, such as partnerships, corporations, and trusts.

    If you have an ownership interest in a foreign entity that holds overseas property, you may need to report this interest on Form 8938. For example, if you invest in a foreign real estate investment trust (REIT) or hold shares in a foreign corporation that owns the property, these interests could trigger FATCA reporting requirements.

US Tax Implication of Selling Property Abroad

One of the main concerns for Americans when selling property abroad is understanding and managing the tax implications associated with the sale. Taxes can significantly impact the transaction’s profitability, and failing to comply with tax laws can lead to penalties and legal consequences.

Capital Gains Tax

Capital gains tax is levied on the profit realized from the sale of a capital asset, such as real estate, stocks, or bonds. For property sales, capital gain is calculated as the difference between the sale price and the property’s adjusted basis, typically including the original purchase price, acquisition costs, and capital improvements.

When an American citizen sells property abroad, they may face capital gains tax on the profits from the sale, similar to what they would encounter when selling property within the United States.

The tax rate applied to capital gains depends on factors such as the type of property, the amount of the gain, the taxpayer’s filing status, and whether the gains are categorized as short-term or long-term.

Primary Residence

If the property was your primary residence and you lived there for at least two out of the last five years, you may qualify for a capital gains tax exclusion of up to $250,000 (or $500,000 if married filing jointly). If the property doesn’t meet the criteria for primary residence status, standard capital gains tax rates come into play.

Inherited Foreign Property

In cases of inherited foreign property, the basis is commonly adjusted to reflect the property’s fair market value at the time of the original owner’s death or when it was transferred to the beneficiary. This adjusted basis can potentially reduce or eliminate capital gains tax liabilities if the property is sold shortly after inheritance.

Foreign Rental Property

When selling a foreign rental property, the applicable tax rate on the gain may vary, considering factors such as the overall gain amount, the duration of ownership, and any depreciation claimed on the property.

Short-Term Capital Gains

When selling a property owned for less than one year, the resulting gains are categorized as short-term capital gains and are subject to taxation as ordinary income.

Short-term capital gains are treated differently from long-term capital gains, which apply to assets held for more than one year. Short-term capital gains are taxed at the same rates as other types of ordinary income, such as wages, salaries, and interest income. This means that short-term capital gains are subject to the taxpayer’s marginal tax rate, which can range from 10% to 37%, depending on the taxpayer’s income level.

1031 Exchange

A 1031 Exchange, commonly known as a like-kind exchange, is a powerful tax-deferral tactic for real estate investors.

  • Deferral of Capital Gains Tax: One of the primary benefits of a 1031 exchange is the ability to defer capital gains tax on the sale of investment property by reinvesting the proceeds into another property of like-kind. Instead of recognizing the capital gains immediately, investors can defer the tax liability until a future date.

  • Swapping Investment Properties: In a 1031 exchange, the investor swaps one investment property for another of like kind. The definition of like-kind is broad, encompassing various types of real estate, including residential rental properties, commercial buildings, vacant land, and even certain types of personal property used in a trade or business. However, it’s crucial to understand that in the context of a 1031 exchange, you’re restricted to swapping your foreign property solely for another foreign property. Although you can exchange a US property for another US property, engaging in an exchange where a foreign property is exchanged for a US property is not permissible, and vice versa.

  • Requirements for Eligibility: To qualify for a 1031 exchange, the properties involved must meet certain requirements. Both the property being sold (the relinquished property) and the property being acquired (the replacement property) must be held for investment or used in a trade or business. Additionally, the properties must be of like-kind, and the transaction must comply with specific timing and procedural rules outlined by the IRS.
Universal Tax Professionals

Need help with your US expat taxes?

  • Timing Constraints: A critical aspect of a 1031 exchange is adhering to strict timing constraints. The investor has 45 days from the sale of the relinquished property to identify potential replacement properties and 180 days to complete the acquisition of the replacement property. Failure to meet these deadlines can jeopardize the tax-deferral benefits of the exchange.

Foreign Tax Credit

If you pay capital gains tax to a foreign country on the sale of your property, you may be eligible for a foreign tax credit on your US tax return. This credit is intended to prevent double taxation of the same income. However, the credit is limited to the amount of US tax attributable to the foreign income. You must file Form 1116 to claim the foreign tax credit.

Schedule D – Capital Gains and Losses

You would typically use Schedule D (Capital Gains and Losses) to report capital gains tax on your US tax return. This schedule is used to report the sale or exchange of capital assets, including real estate, stocks, bonds, and other investments.

  • Calculation of Capital Gains and Losses: On Schedule D, you will report the details of each capital asset sold during the tax year, including the sale price, cost basis, and any adjustments to the basis (such as improvements or depreciation). You will calculate the capital gain or loss for each asset by subtracting the cost basis from the sale price.
  • Classification of Gains and Losses: Capital gains and losses are classified as either short-term or long-term based on the asset’s holding period. Assets held for one year or less are considered short-term, while assets held for more than one year are classified as long-term.
  • Determining Tax Liability: The net capital gain from Schedule D is combined with other income on your tax return to determine your overall tax liability. A net capital gain may be subject to preferential tax rates for long-term capital gains, while short-term capital gains are taxed at ordinary income tax rates.
  • Additional Reporting: Depending on your circumstances, you may also need to complete additional forms or schedules related to capital gains, such as Form 8949 (Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets), which provides a detailed breakdown of each capital asset transaction reported on Schedule D.

Whether buying or selling property abroad as an American, understanding the tax implications is crucial for making informed decisions and minimizing tax liabilities. By staying informed and proactive in managing your tax obligations, you can optimize your investment outcomes and ensure compliance with US and foreign tax laws

2024 US Expat Tax Guide

This comprehensive guide is packed with helpful information and expert advice to make sure you stay on top of your US tax obligations.

US Tax Guide for American Expats